Taiwan, Taichung Mission

Taiwan, Taichung Mission

Monday, July 13, 2015

Week 3

Dear family and friends,

It was another great week at the MTC, but also very similar to the other weeks. I don't know how I'm going to come up with enough interesting material to keep you all entertained for the next 7 p days! I'll try to go through the highlights and any lessons I've learned. 

The highlight of tuesday was hearing Elder Condie speak in devotional. He talked about the conversion power of being able to recite Joseph Smith's description of the first vision. Afterwards we made a goal as a district to memorize it in english and chinese, one of which was very easy... I actually have it down in Chinese, but it takes me a very long time to say. Sometimes when I'm speaking or listening to someone speak Mandarijn, I just stop and think "What the heck am I getting into?" Although I know I still have a very long way to go, it's so cool to see how far I've come and how much the Lord has blessed me. Wednesday is always really fun because we get to see incoming missionaries. My companion and I also have two "investigators" we are teaching now, and it's so exciting. They are both of the teachers we have and are ruthless when they're in character! They ask some questions that I don't even know if I'd be comfortable answering in English! We have this little orange book with lots of really good discussion phrases in it that we call the orange bible. A few days ago we started to go into discussions without it, which makes them way scarier! Elder Trotter and I were thinking that our investigators would go easier on us because we had less material, but that was not the case. They still have no mercy! But its very fun to see improvement and continue to get more motivated to learn! 

The coolest thing of the week happened on Saturday when we had our TRCs. I don't know what it stands for, but basically, we have two 20 min lessons with people we've never met that are either members or 'nonmembers' (I'm not really sure anyone is the MTC or Provo for that matter is a non member, but they are very convincing). The first was a discussion with members, which was alright. What was awesome was that in the second one, the person turned out to be a nonmember! It freaked us out because our whole lesson plan was based on teaching a memeber about lessons we can learn in the Book of Mormon, and having them share their favorite scripture. Although we had already gone in without our orange bibles, we still had a lot of phrases for the discussion written down. In that second lesson, we were forced to just rely on the spirit, because none of our notes helped. We taught about prayer and the Book of Mormon, and it was easily my favorite discussion yet! It was the easiest for us to understand, and almost any word I needed to use was in my head! Even one's I didn't really think I knew, it made me happy:) Also it was pretty funny as I was walking out, a MTC worker that happened to be a BYU-I student saw my last name and freaked out: "Are you President Gilbert's son?" "I have to take a picture with you!" He was so hyped and it was awesome to see someone appreciate the great work he's doing. Last night we had a devotional about the power of the Book of Mormon which was also awesome. Today the temple finally opened! It has been closed for cleaning since we've been here. It was a very nice thing to go to, and so fun to be in the Provo Temple. I love all the lessons I'm learning and how much I get to rely on the Lord. Fun to hear how everything is going back home! Love you all so much!!

Elder Gilbert

Me, Elder Nelson and Elder Cole
P-Day at the Provo temple

No comments:

Post a Comment