Taiwan, Taichung Mission

Taiwan, Taichung Mission

Monday, August 3, 2015

Week 6

Dear Family and Friends,

Its finally departure month!!! It feels like its almost over, but we've still got a while. We will be the oldest missionaries in the Zone (Probably the whole MTC) starting next Monday... In a week from Friday we will get our travel plans/Chinese name tags. Oh baby I'm pumped to write this letter because I've finally got a couple good stories. 

The week started off with a bang as I got a note saying that Uncle Ryan and Aunt Kim tried to send me a package with a beta fish and a Jamba juice! Somehow they search our mail, and I guess those are two items we are not allowed to have... hahah bummer.  We had a great devotional Tuesday night from Elder Kendrick. He taught about how to recognize spiritual promptings. Wednesday was super cool, because we got to host. (That's when you pick up the new missionaries that are arriving and take them to get everything they'll need if you didn't know.) I also got to see a ton of people from Woods Cross, and even got to host one! (Elder John Daynes, going to Argentina). Very fun activity, and great way to break up the week, but also very sad/awkward when you get a family that is all bawling their eyes out... It is fun to be able to try and help cheer up the elders as you're walking away though. 

I'm sure that most of you know that I'm not exactly the best at staying awake when I'm sitting down for long periods of time. So a fun thing that He Lao Shi, our teacher, has us do when we get drowsy is wall sit and repeat the missionary purpose/Joseph smiths first vision, until we cant do it any more. Lets just say I'm getting a lot of practice with that now.. haha I'm going to have huge legs when we get out of here!

Ok, Saturday and Sunday were the highlights for sure. I've started to put one funny moment from the day and one tender mercy in my journal so that the entries aren't all so boring, and I've got a couple that I thought some people might enjoy. We have weekly TRC's every Saturday, and the first one we went into had what we thought was just a very quiet investigator. As we walked out though, we found out that he was supposed to be an English speaking investigator , that was just too nice to say anything to us! So that was pretty awesome. Then, Sunday we had testimony meeting as a branch. We were treated to having the President of the MTC and his wife come and sit on the stand during it. That made me a little nervous to go up. I went up and bore what I thought was a pretty bomb Zhongwen testimony. That was actually pretty cool and I felt semi confident up there. I was also assigned to give the closing prayer. So right after (President Burgess) speaks to end the testimony meeting, I go strolling on up to give the closing prayer... As I'm about to start, Our branch president taps me on the shoulder and says "how about we wait and sing the closing song first" I had totally spaced that there was a song, and was just standing up there beet red! Everybody ate it up, and then I just sat down next to everyone on the stand, waited for the song, and then prayed. That was not my best moment, but at least I gave everyone a good chuckle.. Those were some of my favorite parts of the week, as well as being able to finally whip out my rain jacket, because its pouring here right now! 

A good little consolation prize to the embarrassing sacrament meeting was getting to hear Sheri Dew speak in Sunday night devotional! She was awesome, and spoke about how we need to "spiritually wrestle" with the Lord to find the answers to our questions and be able to build our testimonies. I know I probably say this a lot, but it was my favorite devotional yet, and I learned a ton! 

Another great week, only a few more to go! I'm still having a great time and learning so much about Chinese, the Gospel and Myself. 

I love you all so much and am so grateful for all of the letters, packages, and support!!

-Ge Zhanglao

Rainy P-Day

Getting better at my chopstick skills

No comments:

Post a Comment