Taiwan, Taichung Mission

Taiwan, Taichung Mission

Monday, September 28, 2015

Kao rou's and wenzi's

Whoo another week is over, can't wait to tell you all about it! It was a crazy week for a few reasons: There's a big mosquito outbreak here, it was a big holiday so we got invited to a bunch of kaorous (barbeques), plus with losing two investigators to baptism we needed to rebuild our base. I had a lot of fun with all the stuff and will try to cover the highlights.

So this weekend it was mid autumn festival, and I guess the thing to do is have these little barbecues every night. Literally every street we passed would have at least one big kaorou party (super good for contacting, because they're in a friendly mood, and they give you a bunch of meat, also a little tough because they were drunk a lot too haha) A ton of ward members had them too, so we've gotten a ton of food the last few days! 

As my language improves, I'm starting to have a lot more fun contacting. (not that it wasn't fun before) I especially like the short one minute street contacts, because they're just short enough for me to usually hold my own. Its so awesome to see how willing people are to listen and how genuinely interested they are. My favorite so far was when we got a truck to pull over to the side of the road and set the man up for a lesson. Me and Elder Pearce had been joking for a little while about contacting the little blue worker trucks. There's like a million of these little mini worker trucks with super rough guys that always drive them. We finally actually went up to one, and asked him if he'd pull over to the side so we could teach him about Jesus. I was never expecting in a million years for him to even listen to us, much less set up for a lesson. He's now a progressing investigator for the Elders in the area next to ours! Super cool to see that the Lord wants everyone to hear his message, and remember that you can't judge on looks. 

Thought of the week: This week I studied the stories and sacrifices of a few people that have really been an attitude booster for me. As I read about the sacrifices that Abinidai, Alma, and the early latter day saints. Abinadai gave up his life, Alma gave up the judgement seat and his old life, and the early saints went through some of the hardest things imaginable. They did all these things because they loved Christ and had true commitment to their faith. The examples I read about in the Book of Mormon and Doctrine and Covenants really have helped me to become more committed. Several times this week when I've been really tired, my thoughts were directed to these individuals. This has helped me realize that my price to pay is small, and I'm grateful to contribute how I can. I'm so grateful for all of the awesome examples we have in the scriptures of people who's testimonies were so deeply rooted.

Being a missionary is so fun. Taiwan is so crazy, every once and a while it'll just hit me. I don't think there could be many places that are more different! The people, culture, language, and food is so awesome, and I'm glad the Lord is helping me to love it. Its super fun to be white here, all of the people just love talking to you, and its pretty easy to lead it into a gospel discussion. I'm so grateful for all of the experiences I.m having and I'm so glad to hear that you are doing so well! Thanks for all the support and kind words!! The work is so great here! 

Love,

Elder Gilbert





No comments:

Post a Comment