Taiwan, Taichung Mission

Taiwan, Taichung Mission

Sunday, October 4, 2015

1st Typhoon

Helloo from Tainan! I am loving it so much here, and am excited to reflect back on the week. 


The week started off with a bang (or should I say a typhoon) on Monday. I think it was a lot worse in other places, but we still had some pretty good wind and rain. It wasn't crazy, but bad enough that we couldn't ride back to our apartment Monday night. We had to stay at the other elders apartment right next to the church. It was also fun to go see the HUGE crocodile. There's this really sketchy zoo in our areas that has the most massive Crocodile. A ward member named Ricky took us, and it was crazy! There are no rules here, and they just let us go in the cage with it. Something like this would never be a thing in America. Awesome P day to say the least.

The rain/typhoon kind of passed over the next few days, and then the heat came. I swear that the storm made the island heat up, and we've had what I think have been the hottest days so far. So basically this has been the wettest week, either with rain or sweat (haha not sure which one's better) 

Ok, I've got two favorite moments from the week. The first was a lesson we had with one of our investigators Gemma. Shes this nice Filipino lady that we started meeting with about two weeks ago. When we met with her on Saturday, she told us that her family in the Philippines said she can't meet with us anymore. We didn't really know how to respond, so after talking about it for a little, we decided to read with her in the Book of Mormon. She had read to 1 Nephi 4, so we read that chapter with her. At the end we asked her what she liked, and she read a verse at the end that talked about the Lord providing a way to keep His commandments. Afterwards she said "I love my family, but I love God more" then told us we could keep meeting with her and she'd try to follow God's commandments! Super awesome lesson, and I really believe that the scriptures can answer questions. I'm so grateful for the Book of Mormon! 

We also had a really awesome day at church, because a few investigators came to church that we've really been working with.  We have one that has had work every Sunday and finally got it off! I think my favorite part though was picking up two 14 year old kids (one LA and one nonmember) and riding our bikes with them to church! It made me so happy to see them so happy on the way to and at church. 

It sounded like General Conference was awesome. I am SO excited to watch it this week! (We watch it a week late) Since we have so many hours, we're really pushing to get investigators to come to any of the sessions. I know that the words of the Prophet and Apostles could really help them and are really going to help me. I can't wait to here all the messages. I hope that you guys enjoyed it as much as I'm looking forward to it :) I love you all and hope that you are doing good! Thanks for all the encouraging words and thoughts.

Much Love,

Elder Gilbert

No comments:

Post a Comment