Taiwan, Taichung Mission

Taiwan, Taichung Mission

Monday, November 23, 2015

Going Wayy South

Hello everyone!!!

I'm writing this Email right before getting on the train to Dong Gang. I just got assigned to my second area and I'm super excited. Its just about as far south as the island goes, and apparently pretty isolated. Can't wait to see what its like! My new companion's name is Elder McDougal, pumped to meet him! 

Its been a great week, I knew Elder Pearce and I were going to split up, but I thought I was going to be staying in my area. Usually how it works is that at the end of the 12 weeks the trainer leaves to a new area and the trainee gets a new companion in the same one. Since we have a lot of missionaries going home this transfer, they had to close down some areas. Our ward had four Elders, so the kicked two of us out :( I;m kind bummed, we had a lot of good stuff going on here, and I loved being in the four man with Elder Booth and Bradford. That's ok though, I'm stoked for the new adventure! Elder Pearce is going to be a Zone Leader in Taizhong! Super awesome, he is going to be so good! I'm excited for him, he was such a fun companion. We had a really great time together, and I'm so lucky we were comps. He's probably the one of the funniest guys I know, but doesn't let that get in the way of great missionary work! I'll miss good old ping zhang lao always sporting his safety gear(haha hopefully I sent some pictures of that).

It's super funny, the other two Elders in our ward white washed in, so they had no people to meet with or lessons to teach. Now they get all of our investigators and its like the opposite thing! Haha this week they're crazy bogged down with lessons and needing to meet all of our people. I'm happy, I think they'll be able to have a lot of success. 

Some highlights of the last week in Tainan include our English Party. Every six weeks for English class we have a party, super funny. We had a "Boston Tea Party" themed party, and it was really funny. We acted out the revolutionary war for all the people, drank a bunch of dong gua cha (A tea thats ok to drink) had a constitution reading contest, and a bunch of other weird American things. I have no idea what the people thought of it, but we had a million people there, and it was hilarious. I don't think a lot of people even really understood our theme, pretty weird.

I also think that I may have had the accomplishment of my mission with Elder Pearce when we completed the Costco Trifecta Challenge. We went to Costco for one last meal a few days back, because we knew some of us would be leaving and probably not have a one in the next area. The challenge was to eat a hot dog, steak bake, and slice of pizza, and Elder Pearce and I both did it, then got ice cream to celebrate.... Definitely not the smartest, it had to be done though, because I'm not getting Costco for a good long while haha (I hear my new area is just straight fish) Then, it all came back to bite us when we went over to visit William's family after. We thought we'd just be stopping by, but they had a big thing of chicken and rice for us to eat. Elder Pearce is the worst, he always tells them how much I love to eat, so they gave me an especially large bowl... I was so ready to throw up after, and didn't really eat much the next day. Still completely worth it :)

Ahh I love Tainan! It was fun to be able to bear my testimony and say goodbye to the ward yesterday in Sacrament Meeting. We have had a really awesome, super strong ward! The members here have been especially inspiring, they have to sacrifice a lot more than we do where there's a lot of members. They really believe, and are wiling to sacrifice working on Sunday as well as a lot of time to get to the church and worship. I'm so grateful for my time here and for my companion. We had a lot of great success together, and met some really awesome people. 

Can't wait to see what the future brings! 

Love,
Elder Gilbert






No comments:

Post a Comment