Taiwan, Taichung Mission

Taiwan, Taichung Mission

Monday, December 14, 2015

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

This week I've actually been getting pretty excited for Christmas with all the fun decorations we have and with the Mission Christmas Party that we had on Friday. (It actually started off super stressful, because the party was scheduled for thursday, but because of rain they changed it to friday. We didn't know that until the day before and had to change our schedule up a ton..) That was super fun and a big highlight for sure. The day started off with us waking up at 4 am to catch a train at 5 so we could ride a bus with our zone to sun moon lake which was another 3 and a half hours away.. (Ya, we're in the middle of nowhere haha) That was a pretty fun morning of travel, and then I got to see all my friends in the mission! We got to just hang out around the area for a while, and then went to a Chi Dao Bao (all you can eat buffet ) We then all rode the buses back to somewhere by Taizhong and had a Christmas devotional. By the time that all got over, it was almost 9. Eventually we got home at about 12:45.. Quite the day! I was so exhausted on Saturday (Especially because we had to do a 3 hour round trip bike ride to visit a member that lived up in the mountains.) Wohoo totally worth it though. That was an awesome day, and one I will remember for a while! 

Although that was a  special Christmas day, I kind of wanted to tell you guys about what Christmas is like in Taiwan. For one, its really weird to have no snow. It still gets to what I think is decently hot (I'm still sweating like crazy outside and wearing short sleeve shirts everyday) But the Taiwanese people think its SO cold! Its pretty funny, a ton of them have on big sweaters and coats on when they're outside and can't possibly fathom how we're walking around in our short sleeves. Sometimes I just don't understand the people here. You don't see much of Chritmas decorations any where, but we have a few random Christan churches around us, and they all decorate pretty well. I alsways get a kick out of this one church, it has a huge santa and reindeer on the front, plus a big Merry X-mas sign. I don't really think they get the point of Chrstmas, and I'm so grateful that I have this oppurtnity to share this message. Everyone knows what Christmas is, but its probably treated how Americans treat Cinco de Mayo. The mission gave us all these little cards we can give out to people about Christmas, and it makes contacting super fun! I've decided its close enough to just start going around yelling Merry Christmas! Even though people shut me down a lot (this little 10 year old kid roasted me in Chinese when I said something about Jesus and Christmas... He just told me Christmas was dumb and used some funny Chinese words, it was super funny and I couldn't stop laughing.) They need this message. Elder McDougal and I are going to do some Christmas Caroling tonight and see how it goes! 

This is such a special time to focus on the savior, and I'm so grateful I have the chance to share His message to people that know almost nothing about Him everyday. I love the Savior and know that he lives. I LOVE Christmas!

Love you guys,

Elder Gilbert
A Christmas tree up in the mountains

All of my companions in one picture at Sun Moon Lake

It was so great to see Elder Cole


It rained for a little and cleared out the air super good. You could see the mountains from pretty far away

No comments:

Post a Comment