Taiwan, Taichung Mission

Taiwan, Taichung Mission

Monday, March 28, 2016

Easter Sunday in Taiwan

Hello everybody! Happy Easter, it was probably celebrated a lot more over there than it has been here. Not really anyone talks about it, we are going to do an Easter egg hunt for our English class party on Wednesday. I'm pretty sure no one will know what's going on! 

This week has been a better one! I'm so grateful for all the miracles we are seeing and love seeing the blessings of working with a positive attitude. It feels like this area has progressed, and actually we were able to set a few baptismal goals! We have a lady named Wu jiemei and her granddaughter that I'm pretty positive will get baptized in May. I'll almost for sure not still be here, but I would be so happy to see our ward get some new people. Our ward is awesome, just not a ton of people haha. This is most likely my last week here! The time has gone pretty slow to be honest, but it's also to crazy to think I've been here for thanksgiving, Christmas, Chinese New Year, and Easter!

Not a ton of crazy experiences happened this week, we did have the mission president and his wife come to our church and then give a devotional at the end for both the wards that meet there. That was a pretty stressful morning, and it was kind of funny to see president's reaction to seeing a ward that barely hit 30 people in sacrament meeting attendance. I guess some of the ward members went up and tried to tell him that a ton of people were gone that week because of one thing or another. It was a pretty normal week for our ward though. After church we were pretty stressed getting the devotional running smoothly, there wasn't a ton of communication between everyone, plus we had a big ward meal where we were trying to get a few investigators to meet the ward. President sat down with each of us after for a short interview, then by that time it was dinner, so we had a big group dinner. The day kind of flew by and before I knew it, we were home. I was kind of bummed at the end, I felt like I didn't have a ton of time at church or during the day to reflect on the importance of Easter and why we celebrate it. As I laid in bed that night I just took a little time to think about what Christ's atonement means to me. I really feel like my testimony of the Savior has grown a ton in the last few months here. There have been times where I've felt pretty alone, inadequate, and sad. I really think these times have caused me to pray harder, to rely on the power of Christ's Atonement and use it to help me change my nature.  My desire to know Him has increased and I try to get closer to Him every day. I really have felt his love in indescribable ways and I'll cherish some of the experiences I've had here forever! 

I love you guys so much, love hearing about all of the great things going on back there! I'm praying for you and I know you are for me!

Love, 
Elder Gilbert 葛長老

Also, here are a few of his responses to our questions:  

So jealous you get to watch General conference next week, I'll still have to wait for two weeks! 

Q) How often do you have zone conferences and splits with the zone leaders?
A) We have a zone training meeting once a month and usually go on exchanges once a move call.

Q) How was meeting with your mission president this weekend? (The mission president joined them for Easter Sunday)
A) Blickenstaffs were great! It was cool to be able to have an extra interview with president, we talked about what I've learned here and the challenges of the area. He's a great guy.

Q) What's happening to the size of your mission?  Is it coming down a little after the surge from age change a couple of years ago?
A)We are getting 22 new missionaries on Wednesday! This is the time where we should start to get a lot more. One of the Elders in my 4 man is going to train. 

Q)Tell us if you made any progress getting your sister investigator back on track?
A) She's super awesome! Baptismal goal in May! She actually wants it! It's just hard to get a ton of lessons with her, so that's why it's a little far away! 


Q) For your scripture study, do you read straight through the BOM and Preach my gospel or jump around?

A) I usually read a chapter from Book of Mormon, read something that I feel I need from pmg, then it's just kind of dependent on how I feel. We have one of those teachings of Joseph smith books, that's super good.









No comments:

Post a Comment