Taiwan, Taichung Mission

Taiwan, Taichung Mission

Sunday, April 17, 2016

RAINY

Hello Everyone! Thank you for all your thoughts and your prayers! Excited to report on another great week with Elder Park in Dong Gang! 

So this week could probably be summarized as RAINY. On Thursday Elder Park and I had to make the ride from Dong Gang to where we live in an absolute downpour (plus wind so it took even longer!).   About halfway through we were so wet that I'm pretty sure we might as well have broken the mission's no swimming rule.... It was actually super fun, but then we had to go soaking wet into the lesson with our baptismal goal Wu jiemei. (jiemei is how you say sister in the church in Chinese and her last name is Wu if you were wondering) She has accepted almost all the commandments now, and is really progressing nicely! Her date is in two weeks and she should hit it! We totally thought her granddaughter that she takes care of was 8 (and so did our bishop) so she's been getting ready for baptism as well. We figured out the other day that she's actually 7, I don't really know how... I guess here they count the time your in your mother's stomach as life, so for some reason both us and the ward members thought she was 8. Oh well, she'll just have to wait for her birthday. Her name is Annie and she's honestly golden. She's the reason that her grandma became an investigator, and she's super excited to get baptized as soon as he can! 

Being senior Comp is different. I feel really stressed in lessons that I won't understand, but its been alright so far. I feel like my language is going to get better because of it. I feel like I've been able to set good expectations for being diligent and obedient and Elder Park is really down to do our best in those two areas. I couldn't have asked for much better of a comp to go senior on, its super fun!

Finding here has always been hard. We have Wu jiemei who will get baptized soon as well as a couple other baptismal goals that have good hearts, but still a long way to go. We just found a technical school, basically a college, that is by Dong Gang in our Area. That could be the answer to a lot of prayers! College students in Taiwan are much more willing to meet an open to a lot of thoughts.

Thought: it was pretty sad hearing the news of Elder Hampton in our mission who hit and killed early in the week. I didn't know him at all, but Elder Park did, and it was just really tough to hear someone that a missionary so close had that happen. A ton of people know about it, and a lot of members and investigators have brought it up. Although it was really sad, it has provided us a really good chance to testify of the plan of salvation. It was really cool to be able to tell people that even though this is a sad thing, he's in a better place and families can be together forever! I really have a testimony of God's plan for us and that this life is just a small part in it. I'm so grateful that I can be with my family forever, what an awesome restored truth! 

It was a good week! I'm having a fun time here, trying to do my best to soak in every moment, good or bad. We're going to go to Gaoxiong today for P-day, and I'm super excited. We're getting lunch at Costco, which I have missed! I got addicted to it in training because we lived right next to it and haven't had it since! Also I might get to meet up with my trainer because that's where he's serving right now!

I love you all so much! I'm praying for you and I know you are for me! Keep doing all the great things you do! 

Love,

Elder Gilbert




Our new district

Cool thing we saw on our bike ride

With a dude in our ward named Jimmy

Loving life in the rainstorm

Thought this guy was pretty cool
Chilling by a rice patty field

No comments:

Post a Comment