Taiwan, Taichung Mission

Taiwan, Taichung Mission

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Throwing it down

Wow! what a great week, excited to give you guys a quick update! 

So this week we were privileged to have the mission visited by Elder Evans in the 70! It was great, and a little intimidating for us that are by the mission home, because he made some visits to missionaries lessons (none of ours) as well as stopped in to evaluate our English class...  Both he and President Teh came and watched Elder Cole and I teach for a little while. Usually that class is the most laid back part of the week, but the game changes a little bit when you've got two members of the 70 in attendance. We got wrecked because someone asked what the difference between jam and jelly was, and to be honest I had no idea at all... so what usually goes down when they ask a question we don't know is just make up something that sounds good. As I was about to do that, Elder Evan's wife just goes on this mini discourse on the difference between the two. I learn something new every day. (jam is made from the fruit itself, jelly from fruit juice if you didn't know).

We had a great mini mission conference on Thursday with Elder Evans, and he kind of threw down on the mission about wasting time and all these things we shouldn't be doing. It was really uplifting and exciting, and a couple things were focused on. We don't really go to ward activities anymore and English class might get killed because its not a good enough focus on our purpose! (Thats just a maybe though). I felt really inspired to work hard afterwards, and I know the Lord sends blessings when we are diligent. 

My thought today comes from Moroni 7:6-7.  We talked about this chapter in my DTM on Tuesday (which President also attended, jeez what a scary week!). We talked about this chapter. As I was pondering about some of the teachings, these verses really hit me.

6 For behold, God hath said man being evil cannot do that which is  good; for if he offereth a gift, or prayeth unto God, except he shall do it with real intent it profiteth him nothing.
 For behold, it is not counted unto him for righteousness.
 I'm beginning to realize that a lot of the time its not our actions, but rather our attitude that will bring the blessings that God so desperately wants to give us. I really like what President Joseph Fielding Smith said (I just finished reading the lesson manual about him). He has a quote where he basically says if there is anything in the gospel that is hard for us or we don't like a ton, we better work until we absolutely love it. Attitude is everything.

Love you guys,

Elder Gilbert

P.S. A few extra tidbits from Elder Gilbert:

Theres this place where you can get what is basically this giant bowl of bing (basically shaved ice) and if you eat it in under an hour you get it for free. Last p-day I and another elder in our zone tried it out, and got absolutely wrecked. I don't think its physically possible, maybe a little bit of a waste of money (only 10 bucks actually) but worth it fro the experience.


For breakfast every morning I have this thing called a zhua bing, which is like this oily onion pancake with an egg.
Finally, I've been spending a lot of personal study time listening to General conference talks.
I LOVED President Monson on Charity. Also I really enjoyed Elder Clarks on the Atonement. I'm kind of slowing down because I realized that I can listen my whole life, but this is really the only time I can do language study for a big season, so I'm going hard on that. 


No comments:

Post a Comment