Taiwan, Taichung Mission

Taiwan, Taichung Mission

Sunday, November 13, 2016

Smooth Sailing

Wow, what a crazy awesome week! I say crazy because we found out Wednesday afternoon that Donald Trump won! What the heck?? People are going nuts over here! I remember a few months ago Taiwan had their presidential election and I swear Trump winning is bigger news then when their president won back then! People are literally losing their minds, they all hate him! I have literally no idea why people get so angry about all this, I personally have absolutely no idea whats going on. 


Missionary work wise it was a great week! Evan is so cool! We went over to their house to teach the
My companion Elder Seone & our investigator Evan
restoration, because we actually haven't had a chance to teach him it yet. When we asked him if he knew who Joseph Smith was he just goes off "Oh ya, he's that guy who didn't know which church to join so he prayed and had Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ appeared and called him to be the prophet..." Then continues to talk about all the facts of the restoration like Moroni appearing and the translation of the plates and even the timing of when it all happened. He knew so much I honestly couldn't stop laughing! It was such a good moment, and so cool to see him progress :) Their family is doing so good! Sister Ji actually got to attend Gospel Principles for the first time because her 3 year old daughter finally likes the ward members enough in nursery to let her mom leave. They are literally my favorite people!


Steven and Miranda are also doing good. Steven had a business trip yesterday, but Miranda came to church! They're progressing a lot. Steven absolutely loves reading the Book of Mormon. We shared Moroni 10:4-5 with him this week and the scripture really seemed to connect with him. He really liked the promise Moroni gives and is really excited to pray with "real intent" so the power of the Holy Ghost can "manifest the truth of all things" to him. Fun to see a scripture I've read a million times affect someone else so much. It brought a lot of new meaning to me. The only problem is his wife is obsessed with learning English and just signed up for this English cram school which takes up all her free time! We're trying to help her realize that the gifts of the spirit are 1000 times better than any English class! We're working on it.

My thought for the week kind of has to do with that experience sharing a scripture and getting a chance to re-appreciate it in a way I hadn't in a while. I've been thinking about that a lot lately that there are so many things we take for granted!  President Monson gives a talk called "The Divine Gift of Gratitude" which I highly recommend in light of this Thanksgiving season. President Monson teaches:


"To express gratitude is gracious and honorable, 
to enact gratitude is generous and noble, 
but to live with gratitude ever in our hearts is to touch heaven."

I know that this is true! just stopping and being grateful every once and a while makes life so much better! I'm so grateful for the blessings this Gospel brings and for all the things I'm learning right now.

Love you tons,
Elder Gilbert
jgilbert@myldsmail.net



No comments:

Post a Comment