Taiwan, Taichung Mission

Taiwan, Taichung Mission

Monday, May 22, 2017

He that loseth his life for my sake

Another great week! We have had some awesome learning experiences this week and I love all the stuff that's going on over here in San Min. 

I felt like I especially had some cool experiences in some lessons this week. We met with one of our newer investigators named Jim. Its so interesting to meet with him. I literally feel like I'm hearing some anti-Christ from the Book of Mormon (hopefully it'll turn out like Zeezrom and he actually converts). The difference though is that he's actually willing to try out what we invite him to do. He just has had a pretty rough life and has some doubts bout everything. Recently he's really gotten into General conference talks which is exciting! Anyways in the course of meeting with him its been cool to be able to use the Book of Mormon to resolve concerns. We realized that lessons go WAY better if we just take time to slow down and share scriptures with him instead of try to just answer the questions ourselves. We had a lesson where he asked us if we thought we were brainwashed at all, and brought up a couple negative things he's seen about the church online. Strangely enough, I left that lesson more grateful that I have ever been for the testimony I have. The things we share seem to resonate with him. I feel like Elder Coats and I have also had some really good personal studies preparing for him, some of the best I've ever had! He's really progressed so fast! He still has some doubts, but he says he believes 30 percent now and you can literally see his heart softening. I can't really explain it, super cool!! 

We've been meeting with a Christian man for the last little while named brother Feng. It was really sad over the phone the other day he made it clear to us that he feel he can't change churches... We had already had an appointment set up, so we went over for one last visit. We felt it would be right to just share some scriptures about what Christ said his church would be like and about the apostasy/restoration. We were actually pretty bold with him, but in a really nice way. He said he just feels like his church is just as good, and he's really used to it. It would be really inconvenient to leave. We shared that theres lots of good things in the world, but explained to him that we didn't come here just to share something good. We told him that because we and more importantly God loved him we came here to help him get back to Heaven;y Father's presence. He's going to stop investigating for now, but we feel like we really did our job, and we left with a way better impression that I thought we would after preparing that lesson. Once again I left just so grateful for a testimony of the truth! 

I feel like I'm getting more out of all these experiences than the people we are trying to serve and teach. It made me think of the scripture  He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.

Its super true! I feel like the happiest times of my mission are where I'm just thinking of others. Ironically this is also where I feel like I learn and grow the most! 

love you all,
Elder Gilbert



No comments:

Post a Comment