Taiwan, Taichung Mission

Taiwan, Taichung Mission

Wednesday, June 21, 2017

Soaking it all in (literally)


Another great one! It was a rainy week! Really rainy actually, I don't think I've seen it rain so hard ever before! I swear I've been constantly wet all week. I have really disliked when it rains most of my mission, but Elder Coats has helped to convince me otherwise. It has cooled down a lot because of the rain, plus we've seen a ton of really cool stuff happen (some of it due to the rain)

I don't think I've ever worked with so many families at once! We met this woman on the street early in the week, she later brought her husband and two daughters to English class. At the end of English class we asked this little 4 year old member girl to say the closing prayer. This woman we had just met was so impressed, and wanted to know how they could better raise their own daughters!

Our 2nd counselor in the bishopric is the only member in his family. We were told that they've been more open to the gospel lately and have even been attending our wards Self reliance classes. Our Elder's Quorum President encouraged us to go stop by and give it a try! We shared about family prayer and scripture study! We invited them to try and find at least 5 minutes to read the Book of Mormon as a family. The non member mom responded saying "Thats not enough time, we can do better than that!" Pretty good stuff. Turns out they really don't know too much and we were invited to come back this week and talk more about the Book of Mormon!


Our RC Chen Shi Ming referred us literally the most golden guy ever last Monday. He already set a baptismal goal and when he came to church this week let some of the people he met know he was working to baptism.


We were able to teach so many people this week! What a blessing! Hopefully that can give a little taste for whats been going on! I really really liked President Teh's weekly letter to the mission today, thought I could share a part of it:


We hope that you are well and enjoying this amazing Taiwan weather!! We are so proud of you for continuing to work hard even though you are alternately baking under the hot sun and soaking in the heavy rain. I am sure that most of you are used to the sun but sometimes wonder: " where's all this water come from?"

When I was a small boy this crazy thought crossed my mind once: "I wish I could control the weather." Then after years of attending primary I learned that the wish was not as crazy as I thought it was. That under certain conditions and according to God's will and purposes- I may be called upon to control the weather. More profoundly, later in my life I learned that more important than controlling the weather, is being able to control my personal barometer. That no matter what the weather is outside, you can choose to enjoy "Perfect Weather."

I woke up this morning with this hymn playing in my mind:

There is sunshine in my soul today,
More glorious and bright
Than glows in any earthly sky,
For Jesus is my light.

Oh, there’s sunshine, blessed sunshine
When the peaceful happy moments roll.
When Jesus shows his smiling face,
There is sunshine in the soul.

There you have it. Perfect weather is ours to enjoy. As our hearts and lives are centered around the Savior and His atonement, the sun will always be shining in our soul. I have come to the conclusion that the only weather that we have to be concerned about is what is going on inside of us. And the great thing about it is everyday, we can decide what the weather will be like in there.



Love you all,
Elder Gilbert

Zone Conference
Mission leadership conference

No comments:

Post a Comment